We are a generous people!  We collect an Offering during most Sunday services.  But unlike many collections, we give almost all of our Offering away!  Every week, 80% of our Offering is given away to support organizations – nominated by our members – who are doing good work in our communities.  The remaining 20% helps to fund our own congregational efforts for social justice.

Why do we do this?  We regard this gesture, done weekly, as a part of our spiritual practice… to encourage generous hearts… to envision what is possible when we work together… and to deepen our connection to those in our communities who are working to make the world a more loving place.

Nominations are accepted from all UUSGS members.  You may download an application form here.  Once completed, please leave it in Rev. Jason’s mailbox in the UUSGS office.

In just the last four-plus years, UUSGS has given away over $60,000 to partner organizations, many of them active locally.  Here are some of the organizations our Offering has supported:

AIDS Foundation of Western Massachusetts
Arise for Social Justice
The Barton Center for Diabetes Education, Inc.
Baystate Health Foundation: Rays of Hope
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hampden County
Bing Arts Center
Black Lives UU
Blues to Green, Inc.
Center for Human Development (CHD)
Chalice Lighters – Clara Barton District
Church of the Larger Fellowship – Prison Ministry
City Year (AmeriCorps)
Community Involved in Supporting Agriculture (CISA)
Climate Action Now!
Community Enterprises
Community Music School of Springfield
Dakin Pioneer Valley Humane Society
Enfield Food Shelf
Ferry Beach Park Association
First Univeralist Church of Southold (following a destructive fire)
The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts
Friends of the Homeless
Friends of the Springfield Public Library
Gardening the Community
Girls, Inc.
Highlander Research and Education Center
Homework House – Holyoke
Horizons for Homeless Children
International Institute of New England
The James Reeb Fund for Multicultural Ministries and Leadership
Jim Collins Foundation
Leadership Pioneer Valley
League of Women Voters: Massachusetts
Mothers Out Front
NAACP – Springfield
NAMI of Western Massachusetts
Native American Inter-Tribal Council of Western Massachusetts
Noble Visiting Nurse & Hospice
Open Pantry Community Services, Inc.
Out Now!
People’s Music Network
Pioneer Valley Project
Pioneer Valley Riverfront Club
Poverty Initiative – Kairos – Poverty Scholars Program
Showing Up for Racial Justice
Springfield School Volunteers
Side with Love
Star Island
Toy for Joy Fund
UNICEF – Syria Relief Fund
UUSC-UUA Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund
UUSC-UUA Joint Philippines Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund
UUA/UUFP – Fund for Unitarian Universalism
UU Mass Action
UUSGS Discretionary Aid Fund (for UUSGS community members in need)
Veterans Education Project
Westfield Food Pantry
Woodside Diversity Campership Program – The Rowe Center